Each morning during the presidential conventions, The Atlantic explored key issues in this pivotal election year. From a deep dive on polling and demographics, to an up-close look at the candidates and their policies, these briefings combined political insights with sharp analysis.
MONDAY JULY 25—THE ELECTION IN NUMBERS
We’ll gather leading pollsters to break down the numbers and offer insight into the route the Democratic nominee will have to take to make it to the White House in November.
- Joel Benenson, Chief Strategist, Hillary for America
- Margie Omero, Executive Vice President of Public Affairs, Penn Schoen Berland
- Cornell Belcher, President, Brilliant Corners Research & Strategies
- Geoff Garin, President, Hart Research
- Matt Barreto, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Latino Decisions
- Gregory DePetris, Co-Founder and CEO, Binary Event Network, Inc. (Pivit, Inc.)
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic and Clare Foran, Associate Editor, The Atlantic
TUESDAY JULY 26—BATTLE FOR CONGRESS
As we gear up for the general election, the Democratic presidential nominee will impact down ballot races for the House and Senate. We’ll take a look at top races that could signal a shift of power back to the Democrats on Capitol Hill.
- Joseph Crowley, Vice Chair, House Democratic Caucus
- David Wasserman, House Editor, The Cook Political Report
- Senator Chris Coons (D-DE), U.S. Senate
- Ben Ray Luján, Chairman, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee; Representative (D-NM), U.S. House of Representatives
- Karlyn Bowman, Senior Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
- Ruy Teixeira, Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
- With Molly Ball, Staff Writer, The Atlantic
WEDNESDAY JULY 27—HOW WILL THEY GOVERN?
What kind of vision, policies and decision-making can we expect from the next president? With party leaders and key Democratic strategists, we looked ahead to offer perspective and insight on the next four years of presidential leadership.
- Xavier Becerra, Chairman, House Democratic Caucus
- Gene Sperling, Former Director, White House National Economic Council and Founder, Sperling Economic Strategies
- Neera Tanden, President and CEO, Center for American Progress
- Nicholas Burns, Roy and Barbara Goodman Family Professor of the Practice of Diplomacy and International Relations, Harvard
- John Podesta, Chair, Hillary for America
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic and John Dickerson, Host, Face the Nation.
THURSDAY JULY 28—ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE
On the last day of the Democratic Convention, we turned our attention to the general election. We brought together campaign managers and political strategists to draw on their combined experience and talk about the issues at play, as well as the opportunities and challenges facing the Democratic nominee.
- Stanley Greenberg, Chairman and CEO, Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research
- Stephanie Cutter, Partner, Precision Strategies
- David Axelrod, Institute Director, Institute of Politics, University of Chicago; Host, The Axe Files
- Patti Solis Doyle, President, Solis Strategies
- With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic and Nancy Cordes, Chief Congressional Correspondent, CBS News
Also in This Series
The Atlantic at the 2016 Democratic National Convention
The Atlantic went to Philadelphia for a range of events discussing issues of consequence to everyday Americans and shed light on the vision and policy goals of the Democratic nominee.
The Atlantic at the 2016 Republican National Convention
The Atlantic went to Cleveland for a variety of programming about consequential issues related to the 2016 election and to explore the Republican nominee’s policy goals and vision for the future.
The Atlantic Festival
Now in its 10th year, The Atlantic Festival will tackle the most consequential issues of our time with some of the nation's most important leaders from business, politics and culture.