The Internet of Things (IoT) is changing the way companies and individuals operate. With the touch of a button or a flick of the wrist, consumers can pay for products on-the-go, control home climate systems and track health data in real time. From devices to cars to entire cities, “things” are becoming smarter and more connected.
In a series of conversations, The Atlantic brought together leading stakeholders across industries including technology, higher education and government to explore the impact of advancements in IoT. What challenges do cities and companies face in building digital infrastructure to support new technologies? How will new innovations affect the consumer experience? What will it take to ensure security and reliability in a vulnerable cyber world?
Watch full session videos
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page
- Wednesday, November 08
- 3:00 p.m.WelcomeEmily Akhtarzandi, Managing Director, AtlanticLIVE
- 3:05 p.m.The Role of Congress: Part IRepresentative Ryan Costello (R-PA); Member, House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 3:20 p.m.The Role of Congress: Part IIRepresentative Anna Eshoo (D-CA); Member, House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology
With Steve Clemons, The Atlantic
- 3:40 p.m.Commerce Unbound*
Produced by our underwriter VisaJim McCarthy, Executive Vice President of Innovation and Strategic Partnerships, Visa Inc.
*This session was produced by Visa and not by The Atlantic's editorial team.
- 3:50 p.m.Designing the Future: The Public and Private Sectors at Work Edward Abrams, Vice President, Enterprise IoT, Samsung Electronics America
Sri Elaprolu, Global Lead and Senior Manager, Public Sector IoT, Amazon Web Services
Ellen Hwang, Program Manager, Innovation Management, Office of Innovation and Technology, City of Philadelphia
With Gillian White, Senior Associate Editor, The Atlantic
- 4:15 p.m.Making the ConnectionSanjay Sarma, Vice President for Open Learning and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
With Alison Stewart, Contributing Editor, AtlanticLIVE
- 4:30 p.m.Striking a Balance: Innovation and SecurityChris Boyer, Assistant Vice President, Global Public Policy, AT&T
Hilary Cain,Director of Technology and Innovation Policy, Toyota
Jeff Greene, Senior Director, Global Government Affairs and Policy, Symantec
With Alison Stewart, AtlanticLIVE
- 4:55 p.m.Closing ThoughtsEmily Akhtarzandi, AtlanticLIVE
Also in This Series
Former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
with The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg
On June 13th, Secretary Carter will join The Atlantic’s editor in chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, for a conversation about the military, leadership, and foreign affairs.