As the global marketplace and workforce evolves, the U.S. is adapting to the challenges and opportunities these changes present. What manufacturing innovations are on the rise and worthy of investment? Will digitalization help U.S. companies and governments remain competitive? How might the U.S. prepare the next generation workforce to fill those jobs? On November 23, The Atlantic hosted the mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel, followed by a conversation with industry leaders, labor advocates and government officials to take a holistic look at American manufacturing.
To view photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page.
1:55 p.m. Welcome
- Margaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
- Eric Spiegel, President and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens USA
2:00 p.m. The Mayor’s View
- Rahm Emanuel, Mayor, City of Chicago
- With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
2:30 p.m. Sponsor Content Presented by Siemens
- David Etzwiler, Chief Executive Officer, Siemens Foundation
2:40 p.m. Building a 21st Century Workforce
- Linda Holmes, Senator and Chairperson, Committee on Commerce and Economic Development, Illinois State Senate
- Mario Kratsch, Director, Skills Initiative, German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest
- Jorge Ramirez, President, Chicago Federation of Labor
- With Steve Clemons
3:10 p.m. Manufacturing’s Digitized Future
- William King, Founding Chief Technology Officer, UI Labs, and Andersen Chair in Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- K.G. Rajan, President, Alsip MiniMill
- With Steve Clemons
3:35 p.m. Closing Remarks
- Margaret Low Smith
Also in This Series
Bold Bets: Tomorrow's Industrial Entrepreneurship (And How Everything Will Change)
For the third event in the Bold Bets series, The Atlantic traveled to the Bay Area to explore innovations in manufacturing and production.
Bold Bets: Fast Forward to the Connected City
For the second event in the Bold Bets series, The Atlantic headed down the California coastline to explore urban digitalization initiatives in L.A. and across the nation.
A Global Battle: An Atlantic Forum on HIV/AIDS Today
What is the state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic at home and abroad?
The Constitution in Crisis:
What Would the Founders Say
The Constitution in Crisis: What would the founders say?