For information on The Atlantic Meets The Pacific 2012, please visit: http://events.theatlantic.com/atlantic-meets-pacific/2012/.
The Atlantic and the University of California, San Diego held three days of exploration and conversation on the future of energy, health, and technology. Through headline interviews and panel discussions, some of the country’s most fascinating thinkers tackled key questions within these terrains.
To watch videos of the program, please go to: http://www.ucsd.tv/atlanticpacific/
Dates: October 17-19, 2011
- Monday, October 17, 2011: 6:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 18, 2011: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. & 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 19, 2011: 8:00 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Visionary entrepreneur Elon Musk of SpaceX and Tesla, interviewed by James Fallows
- Guru Dr. Deepak Chopra and physicist Dr. Leonard Mlodinow, co-authors of a new book debating the roles of science and spirituality in human origins, interviewed by James Bennet
- Game design pioneer Will Wright, creator of Spore and Sims, on how games and alternative reality will increasingly penetrate our lives, interviewed by Alexis Madrigal
- Entrepreneur and Twitter co-founder Evan Williams in a keynote interview on the future of technology’s increasing role in the development and evolution of the globalizing world
- Environmental scientist, author, and Chairman of the Rocky Mountain Institute Amory Lovins in a lunchtime interview on his upcoming book “Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions For the New Energy Era”
- President and CEO of Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute John Reed, participating in the Future of Health panel
- Steven Mayfield, Director, San Diego Center for Algae taking part in the energy panel discussion, with a forward-thinking look at biofuels
Custom laboratory tours, presented courtesy of:
- The Salk Institute
- The Scripps Research Institute
- The Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
- UCSD’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- UCSD’s Moores Cancer Center
- UCSD’s Calit2 cutting-edge new media and science centers
See photos of the event on Atlantic Scene.