California has historically led the nation in its ambitious adoption of clean energy technologies. The state has the highest percentage of electric vehicles on the road, the largest number of solar panels installed on rooftops and regulatory processes that allow consumers to advocate for an evolving energy landscape. Despite these shifts, the state’s low-income communities face barriers to the clean energy economy due to lack of investments and infrastructure. How will energy stakeholders come together to create a modernized electric grid that benefits everyone?
Watch full session videos
- Friday, September 16
- 9:30 a.m.Welcome RemarksEmily Akhtarzandi, AtlanticLIVE
- 9:35 a.m.Oakland's StoryMayor Libby Schaaf, City of Oakland
With Ron Brownstein, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
- 9:55 a.m.Expanding Access to Clean PowerStanley Greschner, Vice President of Government Relations and Market Development, GRID Alternatives
Jose Atilio Hernandez, Founder and Managing Principal, IDEATE California
Alvaro S. Sanchez, Environmental Equity Director, The Greenlining Institute
Vien Truong, National Director, Green For All
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 10:25 a.m.Creating Opportunities Through Partnerships
Produced by our underwriter PG&ERobert Kenney, Vice President, CPUC Regulatory Relations, PG&E
With Ortensia Lopez, Co-Chairperson and Co-Founder, The Greenlining Institute
- 10:35 a.m.Charting California's Energy FutureCarson Bruno, Research Fellow, Hoover Institution
Alana Mathews, Public Adviser, California Energy Commission
Dan Rosen, Co-Founder and President, Mosaic
Maria Stamas, Project Attorney, Natural Resources Defense Council
With Ron Brownstein, The Atlantic
- 11:10 a.m.Closing Thoughts-
Also in This Series
This series seeks to explore how the country's growing racial and ethnic diversity is changing the national agenda and ask what it will take to lift more of the emerging Next America into the middle-class.
In Pursuit of Happiness
The Atlantic will host a live event that explores the human hold on happiness—and aims to find ways to build a more meaningful life.