Updated (1:00 p.m. ET):
Three suspects, including the two brothers who allegedly carried out a brutal massacre in on a magazine office in Paris earlier this week, have been killed following two separate hostage standoffs that both ended in simultaneous police raids.
Cherif and Said Kouachi had taken one hostage inside a printing shop in an industrial park north of Paris on Friday morning. At the same time, Amedy Coulibaly, a man who was connected to the brothers through a well-known jihadist group, took hostages inside a kosher grocery store in the Porte de Vincennes section of Paris. All three men are now dead, as are at least four of the hostages who were being held by Coulibaly.
Around 11:00 a.m. Eastern time, explosions could be heard and smoke seen at the print shop complex where the Kouachis had taken a hostage. At the same time, AFP reported that police sources said an operation was underway. There was also some gunfire. The "explosion" may have been stun grenades used by police as they moved in, but details of the operation were not immediately available.
Smoke rises from site where Charlie Hebdo suspects holed up pic.twitter.com/3JnzARhAck— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) January 9, 2015
At 11:14 a.m., CNN reported that explosions and gunfire could also be heard at the kosher market in Porte de Vincennes. Moments later, several people—apparently hostages—could be seen leaving the market.
AFP was the first to report that the suspects were killed in a shootout with police at the print shop and their hostage was free. Le Monde also reported that the two suspects in Dammartin-en-Goele were killed. Le Monde further reported that Coulibaly was also killed at the supermarket. Reuters, AP, and CNN all confirmed reports that the three suspects were dead, via government and police sources.