Canadians are mourning Thursday following the shooting that broke out at Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Wednesday. Nathan Cirillo, a 24-year-old member of the Canadian Armed Forces who was standing guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, was killed by a lone gunman. The shooter was later killed during a battle with police.
There were initial concerns that two gunmen were involved, as two shootings took place, the first at the War Memorial monument, then later inside the Parliament buildings. But by Wednesday night, the local police department confirmed that there was only one shooter and lifted Ottawa's lockdown. Police and government officials initially worked to protect the identities of those involved as they investigating the incident, which was described as having taken them "by surprise."
The gunman was identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a 32-year-old Canadian man. Sources told CNN he "was a convert to Islam and had a history of drug use." He had been on the radar of Canadian authorities, as they had confiscated his passport after he was deemed a "high-risk" traveler.
In an interview with the Associated Press, the shooter's mother, Susan Bibeau, apologized to the nation, saying she was mad at her son and "If I'm crying it's for the people. Not for my son." She said she had not seen her son in five years before having lunch with him last week, and that he seemed lost "and did not fit in."