Sunday, 8:04 a.m.: The victims in the shooting have been identified as an Israeli couple and a French woman. One Belgian, a 23-year-old museum attendant, remains in critical condition. Meanwhile, a manhunt in Belgium is underway for the shooter, who remains at large.
Deputy prosecutor Ine Van Wymersch said "we call on the whole population to help identify this person." Her office was preparing to publish video taken around the time of the Saturday attack.
While a motive has yet to be established, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu immediately condemned the attack and pointed to it as "the result of constant incitement against Jews and their state.”
Two men and one woman have been confirmed dead. One other person has been seriously injured.
Mayor Yvan Mayeur has added: "This is probably a terrorist attack.”
A man reportedly entered the Jewish Museum in Brussels this afternoon and opened fire, killing at least three people.
The gunman arrived at the museum at around 15:50 (13:50 GMT) carrying a backpack, then opened fire before fleeing in a car, Belgian media reported.
Brussels Mayor Yvan Mayeur said three men and a woman had been caught up in the attack. "It's clearly extremely serious," RTBF quoted him as saying.
Belgian media say there was shooting both inside and outside the Brussels Jewish museum. 3 dead. 1 seriously injured.— Paul Cunningham (@RTENewsPaulC) May 24, 2014
While details are still emerging, the attack comes just weeks after a man in Kansas shot and killed three people at two different Jewish facilities outside of Kansas City.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.