This article is from the archive of our partner .

Three months after the death of a 23-year-old gang rape victim shocked India, a Swiss tourist who was brutally attacked and gang-raped in front of her husband is the latest in a long line of terrible attacks contributing to the country's "rape problem." 

A 39-year-old woman and her husband were camping overnight in the forrest outside of Datia, a village located in the central Madhya Pradesh state, on Friday evening when seven or eight men attacked them, police told Reuters. The husband was overpowered, beaten with wooden sticks and made to watch while four of the men gang-raped his wife, BBC News reports. The men then stole the couple's mobile phone, laptop, and about $185 in cash. The couple are being treated at a local hospital, and, thankfully, they don't have any major injuries from the attack. Just the horrible emotional scars knowing their vacation was ruined by a horrible, terrible thing no one should ever have to endure. 

The couple was visiting the country on three-month tourist visas so they could do a cycling trip from Orchha to Agra, the site of the Taj Mahal, a trip of about 155 miles. Swiss foreign ministry spokesman Tilman Renz said the event was "deeply disturbing," and that the couple was receiving help from their government, according to the Guardian

In January, the country was forced to address the growing rape problem after a 23-year-old student travelling on a bus with her boyfriend was attacked and gang-raped a group of men. She died shortly after from injuries suffered in the attack. Since then, further horrible, graphic incidents have garnered international media attention for the country's biggest problem. The majority of reported rapes happen in the northern part of the country, but it's still pretty bad across the board. A woman is raped in India every 20 minutes, according to the government's own statistics. And yet, India has one of the lowest conviction rate of rapists in the world. 

No one has been arrested for this latest incident yet. Police are still searching the woods near where the couple was camping for clues. Police said 14 men have been detained and questioned in relation to the case so far, but none of them have been charged. At least six have already been released.

This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.

We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to