NATO pledged in a press conference Tuesday to bomb pro-Qaddafi forces if they continue fighting with rebel fighters, calling the situation in Libya "very serious and very dangerous." In Italy, NATO spokesman Col. Roland Lavoie told reporters that Qaddafi's regime was plagued by defections and desertions. "Let there be no doubt we will continue to monitor military movement ... when we see any threatening moves toward the Libyan people, we will act, according to the U.N. mandate," he said. He was asked about the location of Muammar Qaddafi and pleaded ignorance. "Don't have a clue, but not sure it really matters. The resolution [to the crisis] will be political, and everybody realizes he will not be part of the solution." In Brussels, NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said the alliance was willing to play a role in a post-Qaddafi Libya, saying "NATO is willing to help in a supporting role if needed and if requested," reports the Associated Press. The press conference followed the rapidly changing events in Libya as Saif al-Islam emerged in Tripoli Monday evening following claims by rebels that he had been captured, casting doubt on the rebels' credibility. But Lungescu in turn cast doubts on the significance of Qaddafi's reemergence. "A brief appearance at the dead of night doesn't indicate to me somebody who is in control of a country, or capital, or of anything much at all really. The remnants of the regime are on the run," she said. Turkey has said the air operations in Libya will continue until "security in the country is fully restored," reports the AP. Meanwhile, "Rebels and pro-regime troops were fighting street battles in several parts of Tripoli, a day after opposition fighters swept into the capital with relative ease, claiming to have most of it under their control." Here's the video of Qaddafi's reemergence on Monday night:
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.