Anders Breivik Returns to the Scene of the Crime

Breivik shows "no remorse" as he reenact his tragedy for police

This article is from the archive of our partner .

Anders Behring Breivik spent his Sunday walking police through the gruesome day when he killed 76 people, BBC News reports. Wearing a bulletproof vest and being restrained by a collar held by a policeman, Breivik returned to Utøya island to give police a minute-by-minute recounting of the day he killed 69 people. Video posted on VG Nett shows Breivik and police disembarking from the same ferry to the island that Breivik rode on the day of the tragedy. He spent spent nearly eight hours at the island digging up any detail he could think of. "We were able to animate his memory with regard to what happened out there," said police prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby. The New York Times described the day:

For eight hours on Saturday, Mr. Breivik showed the police how he had stalked his victims, at times holding up his arms as if pretending to take aim at fleeing members of a political youth camp who were his targets on the island of Utoya.

Breivik was apparently "calm, cooperative and in control of his emotions" while walking police through every death that happened that day. It was determined that some kids drowned while trying to get away. “The suspect showed he was not unmoved by being back on Utoya,” Mr. Kraby told reporters, “but he did not show any remorse for his actions.” This video from the BBC shows Breivik walking police through the events of the day he shot and killed almost 70 people:

"Regarding the suspect's explanations, he has been interrogated for almost 50 hours prior to this and he has remained calm, detailed and co-operative, which he also was at Utoya," Kraby said. "Our assumptions that his presence at Utoya would jog his memory was correct. Many new details emerged from his explanations."

Breivik has admitted to actually killing the 69 people at Utoya, and the 7 at the office building in Oslo, but has denied he should have to face criminal responsibility. Kraby told reporters the simulation was needed to fill in specific details before Breivik's trial begins. The island has been shut down ever since the tragedy, but, according to The Times, police are expecting to have it back in the control of the Labor Party youth by the end of the week

This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.