On Sunday, the day before the beginning of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, the Syrian military, under the control of President reporting that at least 136 people are dead, while the New York Times puts the death toll at 71. The Syrian government has banned many foreign media outlets from reporting from inside the country, making it difficult to verify reports of fighting. What is clear, however, is that this may be the deadliest day since the Syrian government began its crackdown on the mostly peaceful protests, claiming the lives of more than 1,600 so far., stormed the city of Hama and other nearby cities in what media outlets are calling the "Ramadan Massacre." At this point reports of the injuries and fatalities are still unclear. Al-Jazeera is
President Obama said he was appalled by the Syrian government's use of violence against its people. In a statement released by the White House on Sunday, he said "the reports out of Hama are horrifying and demonstrate the true character of the Syrian regime." Reports have come in from Hama residents all day. The Times reports that Hama residents reached by telephone "offered wrenching accounts, telling of youths trying to block the way of tanks with little more than sticks, stones and iron bars."