Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian who confessed to killing 77 people in a combined bombing and shooting attack, had actually planned a more "ambitious" massacre, according to the Telegraph. After hours of questioning on Friday, Breivik told police that the attack he carried out was merely plan "B." His original plan involved a "multiple car bomb attack which would have targeted government buildings, the Labour Party headquarters, and the royal palace in the centre of the city." His targets at the royal palace were not the king and queen, but the building itself, for being a symbol of Norway.
Breivik had made bombs out of fertilizer and other chemicals, which he made out of fertilizer and commercially-purchased chemicals. However, in his 1,500 page manifesto (available here), he described his fear that the plot would be uncovered after years of work, which thus convinced him to go ahead with only one bomb instead of taking the time to build several.
One thing it seemed detectives could not gauge, however, was Breivik's emotional response to the plan he did in fact carry out. The Telegraph reports that detectives were shocked at his lack of reaction upon hearing the death toll. And his lawyer, Geir Lippestad, said that Breivik seemed unable to grasp that the reaction in Norway had been one of revulsion at his murderous acts. However, it has been noted that Lippestad's strategy appears to be establishing that Breivik is insane.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.