Egypt's public prosecutor has just announced that ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is currently under government detention at a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh, will be tried in a criminal court for ordering the deadly shooting of protesters during the Egyptian uprising, abusing power, and wasting public funds. The prosecutor said Mubarak's sons Alaa and Gamal will also be tried in criminal court for various charges.
Reuters discusses the significance of the announcement--noting that the decision defies "speculation that the former president would be spared public humiliation by the country's new military rulers" and comes shortly before a planned demonstration in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Friday in which activists will call for more reform and a public trial for Mubarak. Earlier this month Egypt's new justice minister said Mubarak could face the death penalty if he's found guilty of ordering the killing of protesters.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.