Foreign journalists in Tripoli, who are in Libya at the invitation--and whim--of Muammar Qaddafi's government, spend a lot of time holed up at the five-star Rixos Hotel, and it's not just because they want to avoid the NATO airstrikes raining down on the capital. As Sky News's Mark Stone explains, it's also because they can't venture outside without government "translators" in tow, spinning the regime's side of the story and restricting the reporters' movements. Over the weekend, however, Stone managed to challenge the government's narrative of events without ever leaving the Rixos, in what he's calling "hotel-room journalism" and what Foreign Policy's Blake Hounshell is describing as a "great example of 21st century reporting."
Here's how it all went down. On Friday, Stone got a call from his editor in London, who told him Libyan state TV was reporting that a NATO airstrike in the eastern town of Brega had killed many civilians. Stone immediately called Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim, a fellow Rixos guest, who told him that the assault had killed imams staying at a guesthouse. Stone noted the regime's account in a report filed on Friday:
Mussa Ibrahim, a spokesman for Col Gaddafi's government, told Sky News that religious leaders were among the dead.
"This is the most horrendous, terrible attack so far. Last night Libyan TV were broadcasting live from a religious gathering of over 100 people in Brega town.
"After the gathering the religious leaders and civilians left and stayed in a guest house in Brega. Nato attacked the guest house at dawn today.
But Stone also expressed skepticism about Ibrahim's report. Why would imams be conducting a religious ceremony in a town where civilians had fled the fighting in droves? None of the dead shown on state TV appeared to be wearing religious garments, he noticed. Then, a NATO source told Stone that the site hit was a "command and control structure being used to target civilians."