Adapted from variations on the theme served at Le Bernardin.
Makes 600 grams / 40 15-gram pieces/ 10 servings
For the "Doughnuts"
• 125 grams (½ cup) water
• 100 grams (7 tablespoons) milk
• 110 grams (7 tablespoons) unsalted butter
• 1 gram (pinch) salt
• 140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
• 3 large eggs
• 100 grams (½ cup) granulated sugar
• 1 gram (pinch) ground cinnamon
Prepare to fry the doughnuts by heating oil to 360 F.
Bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil; stir in flour. Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about one minute; remove from heat.
Transfer flour mixture to bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs one at a time until mixture is homogenous.
Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a medium straight tip. Deposit one-inch strips of dough into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once, about two minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Roll the doughnuts in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
For the Apple Cider
• 10 grams (2 teaspoons) granulated sugar
•.5 gram (¼ teaspoon) xanthan gum
• 500 grams (2 cups) apple cider
Thoroughly combine the sugar and xanthan gum. Sprinkle over the apple cider and blend the mixture with an immersion blender. Chill.