New Year's Day is filled with traditional Southern dishes that are considered sacred where I live.
• 4 cups cooked blackeyed peas (not too dry--¼ cup should be juice)
• 2 slices diced apple smoked bacon
• 1 teas. minced garlic
• 1 tbls. minced pickled jalapeno
• 2 tbls. minced sweet red pepper
• 1 teas. salt
• 1 tbls. minced fresh basil
Sautee bacon until crisp. Leave bacon drippings in pan.
Add garlic, jalapeno, and sweet pepper. Sautee for one minute and add blackeyed peas.
Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Add salt and basil.