Recipe: Spicy Pickled Green Tomatoes, Peppers, and Onions
Photo by Aglaia Kremezi
Hard green tomatoes are ideal for pickling.
• 2-3 pounds firm green tomatoes, large or small
• 1 large or 2 medium onions, quartered or cut into 8 pieces
• 4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
• 3-4 bell peppers, red or green, seeded and each cut into 6 long pieces
• 3-4 fresh or dried chilies, halved lengthwise with scissors but left attached at the stem
• 4 bay leaves
• 2-3 tablespoons coarsely crushed coriander seeds
• 1 quart white vinegar
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 3 tablespoons salt
• 2 cinnamon sticks
Rinse and quarter the larger tomatoes, discarding the hard stem. Halve the smaller ones. Place tomato pieces, peppers--sweet and hot--onion, garlic, and bay leaves in alternating layers to fill jars up to about 1/2 inch from the rim. Sprinkle with some coriander seeds.
In a stainless pot bring the vinegar, water, honey, salt, and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Stir to dissolve the honey and salt and remove from the heat. Discard the cinnamon sticks and pour enough brine to cover the vegetables in the jars, but still leaving 1/2 inch space at the top (leftover brine can be used for other pickles). Seal the jars and let stand for about 10 days before serving.