Photo by Leo Gong
Reprinted with permission from The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery. Copyright © 2009 by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson, Celestial Arts, a division of the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA. Photo Credit: Leo Gong.
Roasted chicken is such a staple for many people that I wanted to provide a zippy recipe that would avoid the all-too-frequent pitfall of bland, dry results. Here, I've replaced the common rosemary-thyme rub with ginger, orange zest, and cinnamon, which are also appetite stimulants. Rubbing the spices under the skin, filling the cavity with more aromatics and orange juice, and then roasting the whole shebang makes for one moist, tasty bird! Drizzle with Moroccan Pesto (page 186) or add a dollop of Apricot Pear Chutney (page 175).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
• One 4 ½ to 5-pound organic chicken
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
• 1 orange, zested and juiced, rind reserved
• 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, plus 1 finger-length piece of unpeeled fresh ginger, halved lengthwise
• 3 cloves garlic
• 2 cinnamon sticks