Photo by Regina Charboneau
No matter how much I tried to stray from my Southern roots, I couldn't, and even my favorite sall-mon recipes ended up with a Southern accent. Try this Southern twist on salmon.
Seared Salmon with Bacon-Molasses Vinaigrette
Vinaigrette: combine the following ingredients and blend until smooth.
• 4 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced shallot
• 1 tablespoon chopped basil
• 4 tablespoons cracked black pepper
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 8 6-7 ounce fresh salmon fillets
• 2 teaspoons smoked sea salt
• 1 teaspoons cracked black pepper
• 4 slices thick-sliced, hickory-smoked bacon
Season salmon fillets with smoked sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Dice and cook bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon and drain on a paper towel.
Let the bacon grease get hot enough to sear the salmon. Place salmon top side down for 1 minute, then turn to other side. The salmon should be crusty on the outside but moist on the inside. Continue this until you have the salmon cooked to your liking. Three minutes is usually perfect.
Place salmon on greens, drizzle vinaigrette, and garnish with crisp bacon.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.