Some Americans who grew up identifying with Roseanne have found themselves alienated by Roseanne Barr’s outspoken devotion to President Trump. Many of Kanye West’s fans revolted after he tweeted out an image of himself wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat. Pop culture will probably always mirror the divides playing out in society. But when social divides are more massive than they’ve been in generations, does all our entertainment become a litmus test for our political beliefs?
- “Bill Cosby and the Slow Death of Celebrity Impunity” (Megan Garber, April 26, 2018)
- "The 'Dragon Energy' of Kanye West and Donald Trump" (Vann Newkirk, April 25, 2018)
- "How 'Roseanne' Divides the Left" (Conor Friedersdorf, April 4, 2018)
- “Roseanne vs. the 'Nasty Woman'” (Megan Garber, March 23, 2018)
- Chika Oranika on Twitter (April 26, 2018)
- Teddy Bear scene, “Daisy” (The Golden Girls, September 17, 1987)
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.