- "You should know that you're reading the opinion of an enthusiastic optimist..." Of course, Taylor Swift is "enthusiastic." You've seen her "surprise face," right? Also—though she can write some fantastic revenge songs—she also tends to look on the sunny side of life and values self-empowerment. ("Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city...)
- "In my opinion, the value of an album is, and will continue to be, based on the amount of heart and soul an artist has bled into a body of work..." Swift is all about confessions, duh.
- "My hope for the future, not just in the music industry, but in every young girl I meet…is that they all realize their worth and ask for it." Swift is all about women supporting other women these days. In fact, she made a stir last year by misattributing the quote "there's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."
- "They are buying only the ones that hit them like an arrow through the heart or have made them feel strong or allowed them to feel like they really aren't alone in feeling so alone." Swift loves similes. See: her song Red, which is full of "like" statements that don't really make sense. "Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street," the song begins. "Arrows Through the Heart" may also be the best subhead ever in the Wall Street Journal, but that's just a guess.
- "The way I see it, fans view music the way they view their relationships. Some music is just for fun, a passing fling (the ones they dance to at clubs and parties for a month while the song is a huge radio hit, that they will soon forget they ever danced to). Some songs and albums represent seasons of our lives, like relationships that we hold dear in our memories but had their time and place in the past." This may be the most Taylor Swift line of the entire article. Anyone who has a passing interest in all things Swift knows that she loves to talk about romance and relationships. In fact, we may need to analyze this op-ed a second time to see if she's hidden any messages in it.
- "A friend of mine, who is an actress, told me that when the casting for her recent movie came down to two actresses, the casting director chose the actress with more Twitter followers." Swift loves to brag about her talented, beautiful and famous friends. All the evidence one needs is her Instagram from her Fourth of July party.
- "The only real risk is being too afraid to take a risk at all." Swift's lyrics have proved that she's a fan of telling people to take risks. Her third album was, after all, called Speak Now. Its title track is about a girl who breaks up a wedding to be with her love.
- "And I'd also like a nice garden." Okay. She saved the best for last. Swift is really into home decor. According to Nancy Jo Sales' Vanity Fair profile of Swift, her Nashville penthouse has a "six-foot topiary rabbit." She also hangs with Ina Garten.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.