Amy Poehler and Tina Fey once again killed it during their monologue. Here are some of their best jokes.
- Tina welcoming the audience: "Welcome to the 71st Annual Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's Lee Daniels' The Butler Golden Globe Awards."
- Amy congratulated the stars nominated: "From the amazing Chiwetel Ejiofor to the stunning Lupita Nyong'o to American treasure Tam Honks. Dammit, I knew I was going to screw that up." Cue Tom Hanks reaction shot:
- Tina on parts for women: "Meryl Streep so brilliant in August: Osage County proving that there are still great parts for Meryl Streeps over 60." Cue Meryl Streep reaction shot:
- Tina on American Hustle: "Interesting trivia: the original title of that movie was explosion at the wig factory."
- Tina and Amy mentioned that "Amy Poehler" was nominated for Parks and Rec and is in the audience. Cut to:
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus sat with the movie stars, much to Amy and Tina's discontent. "Hi Julia, you know us from TV," Amy said. Louis-Dreyfus was not dealing with Reese Witherspoon's crap.
- Tina on Gravity: "It's the story of how George Clooney would rather float away in space and die then spend one more minute with a woman of his own age." Sandra Bullock clapped after that one.
- Amy on The Wolf of Wall Street: "If I wanted to see Jonah Hill masturbate at a pool party I'd go to one of Jonah Hill's pool parties."
- Perhaps most successfully Amy and Tina figured out a way to make a 12 Years a Slave joke without actually making a 12 Years a Slave joke. Amy said, "I can honestly say after seeing that film I will never look at slavery the same way again." Tina began to interrupt her with "wait, how were you looking—" Amy promptly jumped to talking about TV. Good job guys!
Watch the full monologue here:
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.