Shailene Woodley, age 21, could very well be the next-big-thing. The actress, who won awards and acclaim for her performance in The Descendants two years ago, is in 2014's big Y.A. franchise, Divergent, and her role in the upcoming indie The Spectacular Now won her an acting prize at Sundance. She's also, based on her recent Interview profile, poised to become a personality to watch. In talking with her would-be co-star Emma Stone—Woodley was recently cut from The Amazing Spider-man sequel—Woodley reveals her true herbalist, Vibram Five-Fingers-wearing self.
Of course, this side of Woodley may not be surprising if you've ever glimpsed her Twitter account, where she posts thoughts like: "oh! and asparagus! and hemp seeds! oh my! feeling sooo grateful for summer's fresh bounty!!! get to know your local farmers!!! :))))" Regardless, the interview is filled with magical nuggets. Here, context free, are some of our favorite quotes.
- "So I just started adapting my lifestyle to that of indigenous people, and what I realized is that we're all indigenous creatures on this planet."
- "I've found that self-love and self-expression for me can just come in the form of trees and come in the form of connecting back to the soil."
- "But I still have my crock pot of chaga mushroom tea brewing all the time ..."
- "I dream so many dreams! I do."
- "One that I love for dreaming is called mugwort."
- "The second I wake up, I scream very loudly [sings to the tune of 'Good Morning' from Singin' in the Rain], 'Good morning! Good morning!' And then I scream out, 'Exciting day! Exciting day!' I feel like it completely sets the mood for the whole day."
- "Well, I go to Sundance every year because of a friend who has a condo there"
- "It's amazing what our inner children, our previous selves, can teach us about our present-day lives."
- "It was such a young relationship, and now, the things that seemed so important and mature and adult about it sort of make me giggle because of how cute and innocent it was in ways that I didn't realize at the time." [Reminder: Woodley is 21 years old.]
- "I started to realize how lucky I was to have a mom who made me read The Secret when I was 15 and who taught me about manifesting positivity in my life and about compassion and integrity and being a kind human being."
So there you have it. Shailene Woodley is a bit of a kook. But that's OK! Better that than some polished Disney commodity who only talks about how "amazing" everyone is, right? We think so.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.