As expected, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey killed it in their opening monologue at the Golden Globes. Here are some highlights.
Most GIF-able Moment
The two share a tender but tense moment when discussing their competition in the television Best Actress category.
- "Ricky Gervais could not be here tonight because he is no longer technically in show business," — Fey
- "Kathyrn Bigelow is nominated tonight. I haven't really been following the controversy over Zero Dark Thirty, but when it comes to torture I trust the lady who spent three years married to James Cameron." — Poehler
- "Anne Hathaway, you gave a stunning performance in Les Misérables. I haven't seen you so totally alone and abandoned like that since you were onstage with James Franco at the Oscars." — Fey
- "Quentin Tarantino is here. The star of all my sexual nightmares." — Fey
The Best Gags
- The two had a running gag about the HFPA (the Hollywood Foreign Press Association) wherein Poehler confused it with HPV ("The HFPA can lead to cervical cancer," Poehler explained.)
- Poehler speaking in a Boston accent to Ben Affleck.
- Mandy Patinkin, a "treasure of the American musical theater" in Fey's words, judged Poehler's interpretation of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miz.
- Fey tried (but couldn't) get the Sarah Palin voice down again.
Watch the full thing (before it gets taken down) here:
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.