The Olympics still has a ways to go, but for your weekday crew at the Wire, the first week is coming to a close. And in case you missed any of our Olympics coverage amid all the hysteria or stayed away due to spoiler-phobia, here are some highlights from this week in sporting's biggest occasion, from GIF guides to probing fashion questions.
- On Monday we expressed our love of the commentators, all those fencing analysts and synchro dive experts who NBC somehow manages to find every four years.
- Also on Monday, we took a look at the various facets of Olympics backlash. Some people hate the uniforms, others miss regular TV programming, and seemingly everybody hates NBC's coverage.
- Tuesday had us wondering whether this year's gold medal-winning darling of swimming, Missy Franklin, has turned into a mean girl. We determined that no, she hasn't.
- We also analyzed, through the transformative medium of animated GIFs, the weird end of the men's gymnastics final.
- And we offered the suggestion that maybe team delegates shouldn't be seen handing wads of cash to event judges.
- Wednesday was a day for celebration as we reveled, once again with GIFs, in the American ladies' trouncing of the Russian gymnastics team.
- There was also that strange incident of a bunch of people throwing their badminton matches. What was the deal with that?
- And we gushed about our favorite coach of the games so far, the wonderful, hug-happy Jenny Zhang.
- On Thursday we made the case that surprise gold medal-winning swimmer and known cutie Nathan Adrian is the Olympics crush that America needs. It's a compellingly shirtless argument, you'll find.
- Not everything was crushes and giggles though. There was some confusion and frustration. We had angry questions like where the heck have the rings been?
- We took a look at a head scarf-wearing athlete and explained that it doesn't mean what you might think it means.
- Today we traced the rise of Gabby Douglas, the newest reigning queen of gymnastics. Missed her victory last night? Have no fear, more GIFs are here.
- Finally: Winning is great, especially when America does it. But man, do the victors have to wear those decidedly not great jackets?
For a full list of our Olympics coverage, you can consult our 2012 London Olympics tag page, which we'll be updating throughout the weekend and the rest of the games. Cheer on!
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.