Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Dana Carvey is a leading candidate to replace Regis Philbin, Lindsay Lohan's out of jail after 282 minutes, and the Kate Middleton pregnancy watch is underway.
- Dana Carvey has reportedly emerged as a "top contender" to replace Regis Philbin as co-host of Live! with Regis and Kelly. Other names said to be on "producers' radar" include: Ryan Seacrest, Andy Cohen, and Kelly Ripa's husband Mark Consuelos. Philbin's final show is next Friday [Page Six]
- Lindsay Lohan is out of jail this morning after serving a little more than four hours worth of her 30-day sentence. According to TMZ, she checked into Century Regional Detention Facility at 8:48 p.m. PST last night and was released "at approximately 1:30 a.m." [TMZ and People]
- Justin Bieber's lawyer Howard Weitzman has already apparently "picked out a lab" to conduct a DNA test on his client when he returns from Europe in two weeks. If/when the test shows Bieber isn't the father of Mariah Yeater's baby, "Justin and his team will sue her," according to TMZ. [New York Daily News and TMZ]
- Longtime Hollywood Reporter film critic Kirk Honeycutt apparently was laid off last week. Honeycutt had been the lead critic for years before the hiring of former Variety critic Todd McCarthy last summer, at which point McCarthy became the "new first stringer" and Honeycutt was given the title of "international critic." [Thompson on Hollywood]
- When Michele Bachmann landed a book deal over the summer, the chatter was that Wall Street Journal columnist John Fund would be her ghost writer. But according to Politico's Ben Smith, a deal with Fund "never went through." Instead, she hired Jim Pinkerton, a Fox News contributor and "former speechwriter and domestic policy adviser to the first President Bush and to President Reagan," to help with the memoir, Core of Conviction. The book is being released later this month. [Politico]
- The Kate Middleton-pregnancy-watch began last week when she refused to "eat peanut paste during a royal appearance in Copenhagen" and The Palace, "which is normally mum on all matters Kate," noted that she didn't have a peanut allergy. Now there are photos of the Duchess of Cambridge "patting and rubbing her midsection, which was covered by a chic red coat cinched at the waist." [ABC and Us Weekly]
- Beyonce hasn't revealed the sex of her baby to the press, but People believes the child-to-be is a girl. Why? Because "[s]ources have referred to the upcoming arrival as 'she'" when they talk to the magazine's reporters. [People]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.