Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Bill and Hillary Clinton get the lights back on, Kris Humphries comes face-to-face with new bride Kim Kardashian's sex tape costar, and Marc Anthony says nobody broke up his marriage to Jennifer Lopez, especially not Marc Anthony.
- Hurricane Irene reportedly knocked out electricity at the house Bill and Hillary Clinton rented on Lily Pond Lake in East Hampton last weekend. According to a "nearby resident," the Clintons didn't have a back-up generator and only got the power back on around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Former first couples who don't own a generator: just like us! [Page Six]
- Imagine you're on a plane. Now imagine a person who once videotaped himself having sex with the woman you just married is also on that plane, and he wants to talk to you. That was the unique social situation that faced Kim Kardashian's new husband Kris Humphries on a Delta flight Sunday from Los Angeles to New Orleans, when he found himself seated in a first class aisle seat across from singer Ray J, Kardashian's co-star in that infamous homemade canoodling session which first leaked in 2007. According to Page Six, "Humphries sat there for a few minutes before moving to a seat in front of Ray J." Several minutes of "awkward silence" followed. Then "Ray J walked up to Humphries’ seat to congratulate him, but Kris acted like he didn’t recognize him." A source says the singer pressed the issue, telling the former New Jersey Nets forward, "Come on, you know who I am. I just want to say congratulations." Finally, Humphries relented. "Oh yeah, yeah," he said. "I’m sorry I know who you are.” Thus concluded the most uncomfortable conversation in human history. [Page Six]
- Ryan Gosling was conspicuously absent from the premiere of The Ides of March at the Venice film festival yesterday. Gosling's non-presence is "a big deal," according to one insider, since he's the political thriller's mopey leading man, and costars George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Evan Rachel Wood, and Marisa Tomei were all out in full force on the red carpet. Gosling's rep says the actor was in rehearsals for a new film and couldn't spare the time. [Gatecrasher]
- Robert Downey Jr.'s wife Susan is pregnant with the couple's first child, due in February. The mother-to-be is vice president of production at producer Joel Silver's Silver Pictures, and has been a producer on five of her husband's films. The pair married in 2005. The actor has a 17-year-old son from an earlier marriage. [US]
- Marc Anthony doesn't want anyone feeling sorry about the fact his marriage to Jennifer Lopez went kaput. He also doesn't want anyone to think those rumors that he was having an affair with Jada Pinkett Smith have any merit either. He tells John Quinones of ABC News the cause of the split "wasn't something sensationalistic happening ... It was a realization on both our parts ... [I]t wasn't shocking." Anthony added, "This is not a funeral. This is not a burial." The non-burial, non-funeral interview will air in its entirety on Nightline and Good Morning America. [ABC News via Jezebel]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.