Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Baby news tops the VMAs, Larry David's new relationship draws scrutiny, and Alec Baldwin waits out Hurricane Irene in the Hamptons.
- Beyonce and husband Jay-Z are expecting a child, a representative for the singer confirmed to USA Today. That confirms what was readily evident at the MTV Video Music awards last night, when she showed off a prominent baby bump to red carpet photographers and concluded her performance of "Love on Top" by opening her blazer and patting said bump. [USA Today and MTV]
- Shia LaBeouf reportedly had to be escorted out of the opening of Los Angeles nightclub The Box on Friday after an altercation with a "gal pal" of Marilyn Manson's. According to a witness LaBeouf, "exchanged terse words with a friend of Manson's, who lunged over the table at Shia, and Shia lunged back." Security intervened and "[t]wo security guards led Shia out holding his hands behind his head." Once he was out of the club, the source says LaBeouf "fell onto a barricade. Swearing, he picked himself up and ran off." The actor's rep denies any incident and that he was removed, saying the actor "left the club early as planned...exiting through a crowded room was apparently misinterpreted. No altercation occurred." [Page Six]
- Larry David's new squeeze Amy Landecker was still married when the two met on the set of Curb Your Enthusiasm last August. That initial meeting may only have generated "sparks on the set," but Landecker has has been seen on Larry’s arm in New York and LA since February," a month before the actress and journalist husband Jackson Lynch filed for divorce. Landecker's representative tells Page Six it is "unequivocally not true" that David was the cause of the breakup. David, for his part, said through a representative, "For what it’s worth, the only marriage I’ve ever broken up is my own." He split from wife Laurie in 2007. [Page Six]
- Director Sofia Coppola wed Phoenix singer Thomas Mars at her family villa in Bernalda, Italy on Saturday. The bride wore a custom-made Azzedine Alaia gown and was walked down the aisle by her father, director Francis Ford Coppola. It's her second marriage. Her four year-marriage to director Spize Jonze ended in 2003 [WWD]
- Alec Baldwin and girlfriend Hilaria Thomas eschewed downtown Manhattan and waited out Hurricane Irene on East Hampton, which may not have been the best idea. According to the actor's Twitter account, the house lost power on Sunday and a window blew out in the sunroom. [US]
- Alison Stewart is leaving her anchor post on PBS's Friday news magazine Need to Know before the show switches to a half-hour format on September 16. Stewart, who is working on a book and has a three-year-old, said the said, "I didn’t feel like I was the right person and that it was the right time to continue with the show." In addition to the shortened format, the show will also change its focus to the 2012 election. [Media Decoder]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.