Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today:
- President Obama's 67-year-old uncle Onyango Obama was arrested last week on suspicion of drunk driving in Framingham, Mass. Police say that when Obama was asked if he wanted to make a phone call after being booked, the half-brother of the president's late father said, "I think I will call the White House." The White House had no comment. Obama's uncle is being held without bail by immigration authorities. [Associated Press]
- Matthew Fox was detained by police in Cleveland on Saturday night, after the Lost actor attempted to board a party bus on which he was not a guest. When the 29-year-old bus driver Heather Borman blocked his path, TMZ reports the actor "allegedly punched her in the breast and the 'stomach area.'" At which point she started punching. Borman tells The Plain Dealer in Cleveland that her first swing hit Fox in the mouth and drew blood. The fracas continued, and Borman believes she hit Fox once more, in the back of the head. "He smelled like a liquor cabinet, like a bar," Bormann told the paper in an interview Monday. "I told him, 'Sorry, buddy, this is a private party. You have to get off my vehicle.' I told him three times. He never said a word. He just looked at me." Fox, who's in town filming I, Alex Cross, was detained by an off-duty cop and ultimately released without being charged. According to The Plain Dealer, Borman plans on filing assault charges, but is "not sure" about a civil suit. [TMZ and The Plain-Dealer]
- Queen bee Julie Chen's reign of terror on the set of The Talk continues, with Chen reportedly telling her co-hosts on the CBS chat show that her "husband can fire your asses any day." Considering that Chen's husband is CBS CEO Les Moonves, this is probably true. Sharon Osbourne and Leah Remini have already departed the program, and Holly Robinson Peete was reportedly told to "clean out her dressing room" last week, but hasn't been officially fired yet. [Page Six]
- Scream 4 star Emma Roberts tells Just Jared she'll be attending Sarah Lawrence College as a freshman this fall. The 20-year-old Roberts, daughter of Eric and niece of Julia, says she wants to major in "English literature." [US]
- Former Saturday Night Live go-to mimic Darrell Hammond is "barely able to work" after a recent Hamptons car accident that left fractured ribs and a severe lower back injury," according to the comedian's lawyer, who filed suit seeking "unspecified compensation from the driver of the other car and a buddy who was driving Hammond’s car" yesterday. [Page Six]
- The New York Times Magazine is serious about its softball, or at least its softball T-shirts. In advance of their game today against The New Yorker, the magazine had jerseys printed up bearing the image of the Derek Jeter birthday candle that Kevin O'Callahan designed for the magazine's cover back in June."It’s our only game of the year," they explain in a blog post, "so it’s kind of a big deal. At least for some of us." [The 6th Floor]
- Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour has emerged as one of the biggest bundlers for President Obama's reelection campaign. Yesterday, Politico's Amie Parnes spotted Wintour and Obama 2012 campaign manager Jim Messina grabbing lunch--and presumably talking shop--at Le Caprice on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. [Amie Parnes]
- Tenor Salvatore Licitra is in serious condition with head injuries after being "severely injured in a motor-scooter accident in Sicily on Saturday night." The Chicago Sun-Times notes that Licitra became a folk hero and rising star in the opera world in 2002 "when he stepped in for Luciano Pavarotti on two hours’ notice at the Metropolitan Opera." [Arts Beat]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.