Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Bill Clinton rings in his 65th birthday with brunch, a pair of shoes, and a movie; the departing Bobby Draper did not care for January Jones; and Jennifer Garner is pregnant.
- Former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spent a relaxing weekend in New York "to celebrate his 65th birthday. On Saturday they were joined by daughter Chelsea and her husband Marc Mezvinsky for brunch at Park Avenue Summer "before going for a stroll on Madison Avenue." After that, they "looked at shoes in Tod’s and chatted with fellow shoppers, who suggested they stop in at Church’s English Shoes, where Bill picked up a nice dress pair." On Sunday, the Clintons spent the afternoon at "Clearview Cinemas in Mount Kisco, arriving for a 3:30 p.m. showing of Crazy Stupid Love, the Steve Carrell starrer about a man who finds out his wife is cheating on him." [Page Six]
- Mad Men is recasting the character of Bobby Draper, because little actor Jared Gilmore is decamping for ABC's new series Once Upon A Time. (Now who is going to get Don a new daddy?) Gilmore offered some magnificent words of wisdom for his eventual successor in an interview with TV Guide. Be careful around January [Jones]," he told the magazine. "She's not as approachable as the others. She's really serious about what she does. Everyone else is so nice." As Vulture notes, Gilmore's replacement will be the show's fourth Bobby. And they say three times is the charm. [TV Guide via Vulture]
- Jennifer Garner is pregnant again. This will be the third child for Garner and husband Ben Affleck since they were married five years ago." Before you marvel at how non-Hollywood and normal Garner and Affleck seem, note that the item quotes a source saying, "She's always wanted three kids. This was her plan all along." That sounds dark and ominous, until you remember lots of people want three kids, it's a nice solid number. So leave the Garner-Afflecks be. [US]
- Megan Fox has had a tattoo of Marilyn Monroe removed from her right arm, telling the Italian magazine Amica that Monroe is a "negative character" who "suffered from personality disorders and was bipolar. I do not want to attract this kind of negative energy in my life" Evidently she's unbothered by the karmic implications of having a quote from Cordelia of Shakespeare's King Lear tattooed across her back. Spoiler alert: things don't turn out very well for her either. [Amica via Radar via Jezebel]
- Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake have moved on from sharing pork tacos in Toronto to attending live theater in masks in an effort to rekindle their romance. Over the weekend, the couple reportedly "went to Sleep No More, the interactive Chelsea play that crosses Macbeth, a haunted house and a costume party, and provides masks for all guests." Because nothing says romance like interactive theater and your date in a mask. [Page Six]
- Bill Moyers is returning to public television next year, but not on PBS, which aired Bill Moyers Journal in the 1970s, 1980s, and then again starting in 2007 until Moyers retired last year. Instead, the program will be based in WNET in New York after PBS told Moyers "it couldn’t find an appropriate time slot" for the new program. According to Moyers, he's "received $2 million in financing from the Carnegie Corporation of New York for the new show." [The New York Times]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.