- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is reportedly in "secret negotiations with HBO to produce a historic Bon Jovi concert in Central Park the night before the 10th anniversary of 9/11." The concert would also feature performances from John Legend and "a dozen other top acts," and HBO would pick up the tab for the "multimillion dollar" event (and pay for security and cleanup) in exchange for broadcast rights. [The Daily]
- New York Times economics columnist David Leonhardt is close to being named the paper's next Washington bureau chief. New executive editor Jill Abramson is expected to announce the news to the Washington bureau when she's in town today. [Politico and The Backstory]
- The FBI is planning to speak to Jude Law after the actor claimed reporters from The Sun and now-defunct News of the World hacked into his cell phone while he was waiting for a flight at JFK airport in New York. Law made the claims in a lawsuit filed last week. If true, the story would leave News Corp. open to charges in the United States, since "Law's phone would have been using an American mobile network" at the time. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Bruce Springsteen will be the subject of the next book from author Joe McGinniss, who moved in next door to Sarah Palin to write The Rogue, due for release in September. No word on whether the new project involves a move to the swamps of Jersey. [Reid Wilson and Politico]
- James Franco tells Playboy he's broken up with Ahna O'Reilly, his girlfriend of five years. "It's over," Franco says. "We'd been living together in L.A. and then came to New York to go to school for two years. Then I signed up for more school at Yale. I think that was it for her." Franco made the comments in an interview for the magazine's August issue. [New York Daily News]
- Former Rep. Anthony Weiner is telling friends that he's "started therapy for his sex addiction," but he knows he has work left to do, especially with the women in his life. "My problem," Weiner reportedly told a friend, "is that I have three women I have to convince that I'm cured: [Wife] Huma [Abedin], her mother -- and Hillary." Hillary is of course Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who's Huma's boss. [New York Post]
- Justin Theroux "seemed quite manly and protective" introducing new girlfriend Jennifer Aniston to his family Wednesday at Soreditch House, "a swanky members-only club in London." [US]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.