Just after noon today in London, a guy named William married a woman named Kate. The ceremony was watched by two billion people, roughly one-third of the world's population.
The groom, currently a flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force, is planning to go into the family business.
Kate Middleton wore a Cartier halo tiara and dress by Alexander McQueen, while William donned his scarlet officer tunic from the Irish Guards. Here's what other notables wore
- Queen Elizabeth Yellow wool primrose dress by Alexandra Kelly, Queen Mary True Lover's Knot diamond broach
- Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall: Champagne silk Anna Valentine dress, Jimmy Choo shoes
- Prime Minister David Cameron: A sensible blue "morning suit."
- Victoria Beckham: Navy blue dress of her own design. This didn't go over well with the folks at the Associated Press, who felt that "the dark tones of the smock-like maternity gown had a slightly funereal look." The Washington Post's Melissa Bell and Marie Elizabeth Oliver didn't care for her "Beetlejuice-inspired hat" by Philip Treacey.
- David Beckham: Gray Ralph Lauren suit, top hat, Order of the British Empire emblem
- Maid-of-honor Pippa Middleton: White (!) cowl-neck Alice Temperley gown.
- Mother of the bride Carole Middleton: Light blue Catherine Walker dress
- Princess Eugenie: Vivienne Westwood ensemble
- Princess Beatrice: Cornelia James gloves, Valentino dress
- Prince Harry's sometimes girlfriend, Chelsy Davy: Two dresses, both by Alberta Ferretti. "Aqua green satin" for the ceremony and "an asymetric, midnight blue" evening gown
- All of Kate's bridesmaids: Matching Nicki Macfarlane dresses
- Miriam Clegg, wife of Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg: Designer unknown, but it certainly has people talking. "It was part Spanish flamenco, part Roxie Hart in Chicago," said The Telegraph's Melissa Kite. "A bright orange hat teamed with bright orange lipstick, a dressed swathed in black netting, long black leather gloves, black stilettos… rrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
Update 2: Some essential links for those looking to catch up:
- The Atlantic's own Alan Taylor has great photos of the dress, the abbey, and the crowdscape.
- The Washington Post is offering a running round-up of the royal wedding hats
- Vanity Fair breaks down Kate Middleton's jewelry
- USA Today recaps the guest list
- The Bishop of London's full speech is here
- Google Earth has a 3D map of the procession route
Update 3: Video highlights include:
Prince William arriving at the Abbey
Elton John and partner David Furnish enter Westminster Abbey...
The Beckhams arrive. Note Victoria's "Beetlejuice-inspired" hat
The walk down the aisle
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.