True Blood's season finale airs on Sunday, wrapping up a summer of unfortunate kidnappings, unexpected deaths, and unanswered questions
What do you need to know to enjoy the episode, and what can you expect to happen during the finale?
MORE ON True Blood:
Clarissa Rappoport-Hankins: 'True Blood': Best and Worst End-of-Season Plot Twists
Eleanor Barkhorn: 'True Blood': A Tale of Two Taras
Kevin Fallon: 'True Blood' vs. 'Mad Men': Which Deserves More Acclaim?
First, a recap of the season's plot so far: Werewolves exist, some werewolves are at the beck and call of a high-up vampire, Russell, who long ago killed Eric's family. Eric plots for revenge while Tara escapes an amusing but psychopathic vampire kidnapper and Sookie fights off Bill's persistent ex. Then Sookie realizes she is a fairy, with blood that functions as vampire sunscreen, thus making her extremely desirable to all vampires. Arlene discovers she is pregnant, unfortunately not by Terry but by serial killer Rene. Jason falls in love with a were-panther/dynastic-meth-dealer. Lafayette falls in love with Jesus (a guy, not the God-figure--probably), and both explore their magical backgrounds through the use of enjoyable but illegal drugs. Jessica and Hoyt seem to be reaching a rapprochement, though Hoyt's mama will fight it by all means necessary.
And a look at the five best moments of the season (more or less. Contenders are welcome):
1) Pam: "I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember, I can rip your throat out if I need to."
2) Eric to meth dealer "I'll kill all your brother-cousins first"
3) Russell's TV rant. "Why would we seek equal rights? You are not our equals. We will eat you, after we eat your children."
4) Arlene "I'm sorry you fell in love with a serial killer, all right? But honestly, who here hasn't?" (I wish I could find a clip for this)
5) "I'm in no mood for lesbian weirdness tonight," Sookie to Pam. It's nice to see True Blood make fun of its own titillation tricks.
Plus some predictions for the finale:
1) We have to get some further resolution to Eric and Russell's showdown. The penultimate episode stopped a moment before both vampires had fully fried in the sunlight - will Eric complete his revenge? Will he die trying? I certainly hope not (about the die trying part), especially since Eric's thirst for revenge was only recently introduced to the audience. It seems like an unnecessarily cruel thing to do to True Blood fans. They wouldn't dare. Would they?
2) The next crisis about to bubble up seems to be the police attack on the meth lab / were-panther lair. Based on our characters' histories, I'd guess Crystal will run off to warn her family, the police will close in, Jason will be caught in the middle, and maybe Sookie will have to rescue him. Maybe Sherriff Andy will save Jason at some point, to redeem himself.
3) Sam and Tommy may be drawn into the fight by plain old dog-cat hostility. We definitely need more than the recent chat and seduction with Tara to see if Sam is going to return to sanity. The sooner the better, because the good people of Bon Temps do not deserve the misery of their cozy neighborhood bar collapsing on top of all their other trials and tribulations.
4) Jesus was too absorbed by the V-visions for it to end peacefully. Something has to develop there, and it might not bode well for him. Is he going to be sucked into sorcerous evildoing?
And finally, three questions that need answers:
1) How did Sookie's parents die? If it wasn't the water, what was it?
2) Will we ever see the beautiful werewolf Alcide again?
3) I'm willing to bet we'll end up waiting to find out whatever is in Arlene's belly... creepy or innocent as it turns out to be.
Bring it on, True Blood!