Washington newspaper The Hill has published its 50 most beautiful people list. The annual feature catalogs a range of staffers and politicians on Capitol Hill deemed attractive. Denizens of the nation's capital are rarely known for their physical allure, which explains why the feature is pretty self-consciously ridiculous. Here's what folks are saying about it around the Web:
- They Awarded Politicians Who Lost Weight, notes CNN: "Coming in at No. 3 is New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's replacement who has lost 40 pounds since joining the upper chamber a year and a half ago... The No. 9 spot is filled by Democratic Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., 'a known fitness nut,' the Hill says... Jackson, who once weighed more than 300 pounds, underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2004 and tells the magazine he maintains his currently-lean physique via martial arts and Yoga."
- I Can't Even Bring Myself to Look at It, writes Jack Stuef at Wonkette:
"The modern Internet has completely taken away the novelty of
listicles, as this is the only thing the Internet can do these days,
trivially rank things. It is just too much effort to care. It is also
too much effort to make a joke asking where a obese and/or old person is
ranked. So let us just say that we hope Robert Byrd’s corpse cracked
the top ten."
- No One Wants to Read This List, writes Juli Weiner at Vanity Fair: "While The Hill’s choices are all, arguably, attractive, their inclusion is of little interest to anyone residing outside Washington. With that in mind, we’ve created our own ranking designed to appeal to readers outside the Beltway. Presenting: The Hills’ 50 Most Beautiful 2010, the most comprehensive list of the 50 most attractive cast members and cameo stars on MTV’s The Hills." Here's her top 10:
10. Marc Jacobs
9. Kimberly Brandon (Heidi’s former co-worker)
8. Lisa Love (west coast editor for Vogue and Teen Vogue)
7. Jade Port (Whitney’s sister)
6. Lauren Howe (Teen Vogue contributing editor)
5. Emily Weiss (Teen Vogue intern)
4. Bentley (Brody’s dog)
3. Jayde Nicole (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
2. McKaela Line (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
1. Cora Skinner (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.