A reader writes:
I'm an ER veterinarian who has experienced the wonders of chocolate vomit hundreds of times over the years, but has yet to slide into it headfirst. I'm writing because you mentioned giving salt to induce vomiting. While this has been a commonly advocated method in the past, it is no longer recommended. The salt can cause an increase in blood sodium levels, which can cause significant problems for the dog. A trip to the vet for a safer emetic is recommended, but if that is not possible due to distance or time frame, hydrogen peroxide can be given by mouth to dogs only. The amount administered is small and varies based on the weight of the dog, so call your local veterinarian or the always-helpful ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for advice before administering.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.