Welcome to the Box Office Report, where we still hold out hope for Liam Hemsworth's career.
1. Thor: The Dark World (Beuna Vista): $86.1 million in 3,841 theaters
The Atlantic Wire, like everyone else in the world, foresaw this before it happened. The latest Marvel offering took the top spot at the box office because it's become mandatory for every man, woman, child, grandparent, dog, cat and lizard to see the comic house's movies. The movie has now grossed $327 million globally -- it was released early in some countries -- setting up Disney's first Marvel release to eclipse the thunder god's original.
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grampa (Paramount): $11.3 million in 3,187 theaters [Week 3]
If you're playing FMK with Jackass guys, Johnny Knoxville is the only person anyone sane considers marrying, right?
3. Free Birds (Relativity): $11.2 million in 3,736 theaters [Week 2]
The best use of "Free Bird" in cinema is still the final scene in Rob Zombie's Devil's Rejects when the surviving members of the Firefly family drive off into the sunset. So, sorry kids movie.
4. Last Vegas (CBS): $11.1 million in 3,082 theaters [Week 2]
Old people have surprising longevity. Like all those old bands who do marathon reunion tours: the Rolling Stones, The Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd.
5. Ender's Game (Lion's Gate): $10.3 million in 3,407 theaters [Week 2]
Remember what we predicted last week? Not going to go full Nikki Finke here (RIP) but remember this the next time you question the wisdom delivered inside The Box Office Report. Ender's Game is falling out of the sky already.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.