Welcome to the Box Office Report, where Hugh Jackman is always starring uncomfortably at the kale stuck to the side of your face after dinner. And he never has the courtesy to tell you about it, either.
1. Prisoners (Warner): $21.4 million in 3,260 theaters
2. Insidious: Chapter 2 (Filmdistrict): $14.5 million in 3,155 theaters [Week 2]
3. The Family (Relativity): $7 million in 3,091 theaters [Week 2]
4. Instructions Not Included (Lionsgate): $5.7 million in 978 theaters [Week 4]
This is the lil' movie that could:
It makes my heart swell every time Instructions Not Included makes so much money with next to no promotion and no screen support.
5. Battle of the Year (Screen Gems): $5 million in 2,008 theaters
Another dancing movie failed? Good. This particular dancing movie has Chris Brown in it? Even better. Battle of the Year was supposed to be Brown's glorious return to dance movies after a brief career playing tough guys in crime flicks and something in that Steve Harvey movie. Brown hasn't danced on screen since 2007's Stomp the Yard, a genre classic. (No thanks to Brown, though.)