Next year's Oscars will be Seth MacFarlane-free, according to Seth MacFarlane. The controversial host of last year's ceremony tweeted this afternoon that he will not in fact be hosting the 2014 ceremony.
"Traumatized critics exhale: I'm unable to do the Oscars again," he wrote in a series of tweets. "Tried to make it work schedule-wise, but I need sleep. However, I highly recommend the job, as Zadan and Meron are two of the most talented producers in the business. My suggestion for host is Joaquin Phoenix."
MacFarlane said that he wasn't doing the Oscars again shortly after the 2013 ceremony, but he apparently did get asked to host again, according to Deadline. And he clearly had not ruled that possibility out completely based on his recent tweets given that he said that he did try to make it work. Still, today's statement—however jokey it may be about Phoenix—seem to be be MacFarlane's last word on the subject.
Other than not wanting to face ruthless criticism for another year MacFarlane's got a lot on his plate. For one, his new film A Million Ways to Die in the West, currently in production, has a May 30, 2014 release date, he's working on a Ted sequel, and he has a variety of television projects underway.
And he is right in his Twitter message. We are breathing a sigh of relief right now. Now begins the speculation as to who Zadan and Meron called next. Justin Timberlake, perhaps?
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.