Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Dick Grasso floats his own name for mayor, Beyonce's craving bananas and ketchup, and Evan Rachel Wood is holding on to her missing tooth.
- At least Evan Rachel Wood has a sense of humor about the Paris nightclub mishap that cost her one of her teeth. At the Toronto film festival, the actress has reportedly been "carrying her tooth around in a little jeweled box" and "showing it off to people" when they ask the Across the Universe star how she's doing. [US]
- It's been two weeks since Beyonce announced her pregnancy at the MTV Video Music Awards, but the singer has already entered the strange cravings phase of her pregnancy. A source says that along with eating Oreos, gherkins, ice cream with hot chili sauce, bananas dipped in ketchup, she's been having "croissants with melted Dime bars inside" for breakfast. [Gatecrasher]
- Alec Baldwin's yoga instructor girlfriend Hilaria Thomas tells The Daily she's seen precious little of her new-ish beau's professional work. "It probably helped that she’d hardly seen any of his work — she’s never owned a TV," writes Emma Barker. “I had seen one episode of ‘30 Rock’ on my laptop, and I’d seen ‘Working Girl,’ ” Thomas says. “Alec makes fun of me because I always fall asleep during movies. It takes me a week to watch one movie.” [The Daily]
- Former New York Stock Exchange head Dick Grasso says he's "thinking seriously of running" for mayor of New York City, although he confesses that NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly "should be our next mayor." Grasso resigned as chairman of the NYSE in 2003 and was subsequently sued by then-New York attorney general Eliot Spitzer over his $139.5 million compensation package. [New York Post]
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Newt and Clarissa Gingrich turned out at the Kennedy Center Saturday for the Washington National Opera's opening night performance of Puccini's Tosca. The Gingrich's reportedly skipped the post-show gala, but Ginsburg was photographed with star Patricia Racette. [The Reliable Source]
- Former Representative Anthony Weiner and wife Huma Abedin have reportedly been telling friends and family that their first child will be a boy. Abedin is currently six months pregnant, and the pair just returned from a European "babymoon" in Paris and Italy. [Page Six]
- Vice President Joe Biden and wife Jill brunched at Cafe Milano in Georgetown yesterday following his remarks at the Pentagon yesterday commemorating 10th anniversary of 9/11. The duo was reportedly "casually dressed" and ate by themselves on the restaurant's outdoor terrace. [The Reliable Source]
- George Clooney and former pro wrestler Stacy Keibler made their first public appearance as a couple at two parties at the Toronto film festival on Saturday night. Keibler was apparently "perfectly comfortable with the Hollywood crowd" at the parties thrown by Vanity Fair and Grey Goose. Says a source: "One of the recurring themes of the night was that Stacy had her own conversations going on and that she wasn't following Clooney around like a puppy dog." [Us Weekly]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.
We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to email@example.com.