Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today:Peter Fonda amps up the anti-Obama rhetoric, Nancy Grace leaves a job, and Lady Gaga bogarts the sound system at SNL's after party
- Actor Peter Fonda told reporters at Cannes last week that he sent an email to President Obama calling the president "a fucking traitor’" for his response to the Gulf oil spill. Now he could be getting a visit from the Secret Service after suggesting he was training his grandchildren to shoot Obama. "I’m training my grandchildren to use long-range rifles," he told the Telegraph's Richard Eden on the final day of the festival. "For what purpose? Well, I’m not going to say the words 'Barack Obama’, but …” [The Telegraph]
- Maria Shriver's 'own people' are said to be the ones who leaked the story of Arnold Schwarzenegger's out-of-wedlock baby to the Los Angeles Times and TMZ. Supposedly, after "Maria's friends talked her off a ledge...a plan was eventually hatched to leak the details to the L.A. Times and TMZ." Other tidbits in the item: Shriver had been "[telling] friends for nearly two years" that she wanted a divorce, and is not interested in reconciliation. Sources say Arnold is "upset" with his estranged wife for discussing the issue with her friends, and that "Arnold and his people know the story leaked through Maria's camp." [TMZ]
- Nancy Grace has bailed on her syndicated courtroom series Swift Justice with Nancy Grace after one season, citing the burdens of commuting to Los Angeles from Atlanta for filming. Her tentpole HLN program Nancy Grace will continue as scheduled. That's good news for Grace's fans, media critics, and casual viewers who just don't care much for due process. [EW]
- Lady Gaga managed to get her music played at the Saturday Night Live after-party this weekend, even though musical guests are traditionally left off the playlist. That didn't stop Gaga from approaching DJ KevG, keeper of the music keys for the evening. "Gaga," he recalls, "came up to me and said, 'Can you play my song?' She got out her iPod, which had a new track on it, and asked me to play it. She was a little tipsy so it took us a while to figure out how to play it, so she asked us to play 'Paparazzi' while her manager helped us figure it out. She had a lot of great energy, she was really sweet."[Page Six]
- Christopher Meloni is leaving Law & Order: SVU after the two sides couldn't agree on a new contract. Sources say the "protracted" negotiations broke down for good Tuesday. Meloni has been with the show since it premiered in 1999. Producer Dick Wolf, meanwhile, is already said to be on the hunt for a big-name actor to take Meloni's place alongside Mariska Hargitay. One early possibility is Jennifer Love Hewitt, who is already on the shortlist to replace Harigitay when her contract is up mid-season. "Jennifer Love is somebody we’ve been circling,” admitted NBC president Robert Greenblatt a week before Meloni's departure, “but I don’t know that that is going to happen at all.” [TVLine]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.