'The Hill' Catalogues Washington's 50 Most Beautiful People
Somehow they overlooked us
Washington newspaper The Hill has published its 50 most beautiful people list. The annual feature catalogs a range of staffers and politicians on Capitol Hill deemed attractive. Denizens of the nation's capital are rarely known for their physical allure, which explains why the feature is pretty self-consciously ridiculous. Here's what folks are saying about it around the Web:
- They Awarded Politicians Who Lost Weight, notes CNN: "Coming in at No. 3 is New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's replacement who has lost 40 pounds since joining the upper chamber a year and a half ago... The No. 9 spot is filled by Democratic Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., 'a known fitness nut,' the Hill says... Jackson, who once weighed more than 300 pounds, underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2004 and tells the magazine he maintains his currently-lean physique via martial arts and Yoga."
- I Can't Even Bring Myself to Look at It, writes Jack Stuef at Wonkette: "The modern Internet has completely taken away the novelty of listicles, as this is the only thing the Internet can do these days, trivially rank things. It is just too much effort to care. It is also too much effort to make a joke asking where a obese and/or old person is ranked. So let us just say that we hope Robert Byrd’s corpse cracked the top ten."
- This Is the Best Thing That's Happened to Jesse Jackson, Jr., writes Lynn Sweet at The Chicago Sun-Times: "The political career of Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) took a nosedive in the wake of the arrest of now former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich--whose fate will be decided by a jury, to start considering his criminal case on Wednesday. Jackson's first bright spot comes via Wednesday's edition of The Hill, where he ranks number 9 on a list of Capitol Hills 50 "most beautiful" people. There are no mentions of Jackson's political troubles back home in the glowing review."
- What's With Scott Brown? "We're told that unlike most of the honorees, Brown declined to give an interview or pose for a picture," writes the Washington Post's Reliable Source blog. "His press office did not return our calls to explain his bout of shyness. The senator mostly laughed off the Cosmo spread when it resurfaced during his campaign last year -- he said that he paid his way through law school by modeling -- but maybe a guy gets tired of being objectified after a while. Nothing to be ashamed of, though; he's in good company."
- No One Wants to Read This List, writes Juli Weiner at Vanity Fair: "While The Hill’s choices are all, arguably, attractive, their inclusion is of little interest to anyone residing outside Washington. With that in mind, we’ve created our own ranking designed to appeal to readers outside the Beltway. Presenting: The Hills’ 50 Most Beautiful 2010, the most comprehensive list of the 50 most attractive cast members and cameo stars on MTV’s The Hills." Here's her top 10:
10. Marc Jacobs
9. Kimberly Brandon (Heidi’s former co-worker)
8. Lisa Love (west coast editor for Vogue and Teen Vogue)
7. Jade Port (Whitney’s sister)
6. Lauren Howe (Teen Vogue contributing editor)
5. Emily Weiss (Teen Vogue intern)
4. Bentley (Brody’s dog)
3. Jayde Nicole (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
2. McKaela Line (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
1. Cora Skinner (Brody’s ex-girlfriend)
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.