It is basically, if you are a Simpsons fan, like finding a coupon for a hundred free Krusty Burgers, and then finding out that they'll be served to you by Krusty himself. It's like getting a personal concert from Bleeding Gums Murphy. Or riding your skateboard, successfully, over Springfield Gorge. Or finding out that Mr. Burns returns your affection. Or ... well, if you are a Simpsons fan, you get the idea. If you were Homer, you'd probably give it a loud "Woohoo!"
The "it" is Simpsons World—a project that will be, from the sound of things, like the ultimate DVD box set for the sitcom that has been the longest-running in American history (and that, as Wikipedia helpfully reminds us, "parodies American culture, society, television, and many aspects of the human condition"). Simpsons World won't be a DVD set, though. It will be a continuation, basically, of the 12 days' worth of Simpsons programming that the FXX network, which has exclusive cable rights to the show, will air at the end of August. It will be fully digital.
Simpsons World, Vox's Todd VanDerWerff reports from a presentation at the Television Critics Association conference today, will be a website. It will be an app. It will be, he declares, "one of the greatest feats of engineering in human history."
It won't, but if you are a Simpsons fan, the project will actually be pretty close. (Woohoo!) Here's what it will feature, according to VanDerWerff:
- All 552 episodes of the show that have aired to date, which can be watched in any order at any time
- Clips of episodes
- A feature sharing Groening's commentary on certain scenes and elements
- A feature that points out movie and other references in the show
- Archival shorts, possibly, from The Tracey Ullman Show that gave rise to The Simpsons
- Complete scripts of the show, scrolling alongside the episode as it plays
- The ability to share lines from those scripts on Twitter or Facebook or other social media platforms
- An episode database
- A character database that allows users to cross-reference characters with other characters and locations
- The ability to sort episodes according to particular themes, topics, and characters
This article available online at: