Infographic: Apple vs. Android in China's Mobile Ad Market

By Nicholas Jackson

The newest infographic from Guohe Ad, a mobile ad specialist in China, leaves out some of the biggest platforms and app stores (Symbian, M-Market, Ovi), but it does give us a sense of how Apple's iOS is performing against Android when it comes to the mobile ad market, an important one. "The market for in-app advertising in China is still pretty small, but -- as a key way of monetizing mobile content -- it is growing at a fast clip," according to PaidContent. "Figures from analyst firm iResearch note that last year revenue from in-app advertising was around $11 million, but by the end of 2011 it should increase nearly five-fold to $48.7 million."

Infographics are always a bit of a hodgepodge of statistics culled from a variety of sources. Here, we sort through the clutter and pull out some of our favorite facts and figures:

  • Eighty percent of ad impressions in China come from 10 regions: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Sichuan, Hong Kong, and others. The top five regions cover the most prosperous areas of China.
  • iOS has the largest mobile app store with high-quality mobile apps that attract more user interaction. As a result, iOS ad impressions account for 58 percent of the mobile market, while Android makes up the other 42 percent. Leading Android phone makers include HTC, Samsung, and Motorola.
  • Smartphones have larger click-through rates than tablets.
  • Mobile ad impressions on all tablet devices continues to increase. Apple's iPad accounts for 98-plus percent of total impressions over the first half of 2011.

Check out more Infographics on the Technology Channel.

0829Info.jpg

This article available online at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/08/infographic-apple-vs-android-in-chinas-mobile-ad-market/244215/