Infographic: Zynga, Pandora and the Biggest IPOs of 2011

More

With LinkedIn, Pandora, Zynga and others entering the market, the first half of 2011 saw some of the biggest Internet IPOs in years. While all of the recent focus is on social games developer Zynga, the most recent IPO, LinkedIn's initial public offering earlier this year was the biggest Internet IPO since Google's debut back in 2004. Shares of LinkedIn were priced at more than $40, but quickly reached close to $120 by the middle of the company's first day of trading.

After its recent IPO, Zynga, the makers of FarmVille, CityVille and other social games, is valued at somewhere between $10 billion and $20 billion. Because Zynga has built its audience largely through Facebook, all eyes are on the social network, which is expected to file for an IPO with the SEC before early next year.

Infographics, like this one from Single Grain, are always a bit of a hodgepodge of statistics culled from a variety of sources. Here, we sort through the clutter and pull out some of our favorite facts and figures:

  • Groupon has raised $1.2 billion in venture funding ($6.8 million in series A, $30 million in series B, $135 million in series C and $950 million in series D).
  • Groupon has spent $348 million for its acquisitions.
  • CEO Andrew Mason owns 7.7 percent (22,967,252) class A shares of Groupon and 41.7 percent (499,992) class B shares.
  • Pandora priced its IPO at $16 per share on June 14, 2011. Thirty-seven percent of shares are from Pandora and the remaining 63 percent of shares will come from selling stockholders.
  • Only 20 percent of Zynga's revenue comes from advertising, while the other 80 percent comes from only three percent of its users paying real money for virtual goods.
  • With shares priced at over $40 each, LinkedIn's IPO was the biggest Internet IPO since Google's debut in 2004.

Check out more Infographics on the Technology Channel.

Biggest-IPOs-of-2011-sm.jpg

Jump to comments
Presented by

Nicholas Jackson is a former associate editor at The Atlantic.

Get Today's Top Stories in Your Inbox (preview)

The Time JFK Called the Air Force to Complain About a 'Silly Bastard'

51 years ago, President John F. Kennedy made a very angry phone call.


Elsewhere on the web

Join the Discussion

After you comment, click Post. If you’re not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register. blog comments powered by Disqus

Video

Adventures in Legal Weed

Colorado is now well into its first year as the first state to legalize recreational marijuana. How's it going? James Hamblin visits Aspen.

Video

What Makes a Story Great?

The storytellers behind House of CardsandThis American Life reflect on the creative process.

Video

Tracing Sriracha's Origin to Thailand

Ever wonder how the wildly popular hot sauce got its name? It all started in Si Racha.

Video

Where Confiscated Wildlife Ends Up

A government facility outside of Denver houses more than a million products of the illegal wildlife trade, from tigers and bears to bald eagles.

Video

Is Wine Healthy?

James Hamblin prepares to impress his date with knowledge about the health benefits of wine.

Video

The World's Largest Balloon Festival

Nine days, more than 700 balloons, and a whole lot of hot air

Writers

Up
Down

More in Technology

Just In