Online Sharing With StumbleUpon and Gmail Is Outpacing Facebook

More

With Facebook Connect and other tools that have been released to online developers and website operators, the social networking site is betting that people are -- and will continue to be -- interested in reading, watching, and doing things online that their friends recommend. "It's a shift from the wisdom of crowds to the wisdom of friends," Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg told Lev Grossman for his Time magazine profile of CEO Mark Zuckerberg. "It doesn't matter if 100,000 people like x. If the three people closest to you like y, you want to see y."

That strategy seems to be exactly right. AddThis, a sharing widget that allows publishers and bloggers to make it easier to spread their content around the web, now reaches more than one billion people every month through seven million domains. Yesterday, AddThis released an infographic that breaks down our online sharing habits.

Facebook has grown from 33 percent of AddThis' traffic last year to 44 percent in 2010, an increase of one-third. All other sites and services combined make up the other 56 percent of AddThis traffic. But, with MySpace and Friendster showing a significant decline between 2009 and 2010, that has left room for Gmail and StumbleUpon to outpace Facebook in growth. Email sharing, in fact, is 38 percent bigger than sharing over Twitter.

AddThis isn't the only option that people have for sharing, but the significant sample size should offer a fairly accurate picture of how we are spreading content around the web.

(Click on the image to enlarge.)

AddThisTrends.jpg

Jump to comments
Presented by

Nicholas Jackson is a former associate editor at The Atlantic.

Get Today's Top Stories in Your Inbox (preview)

Adventures in Legal Weed

Colorado is now well into its first year as the first state to legalize recreational marijuana. How's it going? James Hamblin visits Aspen.


Elsewhere on the web

Join the Discussion

After you comment, click Post. If you’re not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register. blog comments powered by Disqus

Video

Adventures in Legal Weed

Colorado is now well into its first year as the first state to legalize recreational marijuana. How's it going? James Hamblin visits Aspen.

Video

What Makes a Story Great?

The storytellers behind House of CardsandThis American Life reflect on the creative process.

Video

Tracing Sriracha's Origin to Thailand

Ever wonder how the wildly popular hot sauce got its name? It all started in Si Racha.

Video

Where Confiscated Wildlife Ends Up

A government facility outside of Denver houses more than a million products of the illegal wildlife trade, from tigers and bears to bald eagles.

Video

Is Wine Healthy?

James Hamblin prepares to impress his date with knowledge about the health benefits of wine.

Video

The World's Largest Balloon Festival

Nine days, more than 700 balloons, and a whole lot of hot air

Writers

Up
Down

More in Technology

Just In