1. Gaggling on AF1 tonight, Obama sounds skeptical he'll see immigration bill this year; says there "may not be an appetite" in Congress ... praises Lindsey Graham by name ... gives hints of new federal border protection measures. ... Senate begins debate on final reg reform tomorrow. ... weeks of work ahead.
2. Here first: Charlie Crist, soon to be independent Senate candidate from Florida, tried to reach White House chief of staff Emanuel through intermediates. WH refuses to take the call. Dems plan big talent/money blitz for Kendrick Meek. BTW: Obama's approval rating in FL is in high 40s, per internal Dem polling.
3. AFL-CIO gathers 10,000 to rally on Wall Street tomorrow; streamed live at www.aflcio.com/wallstreet . Start time is 4:00 pm. ... Obama names three to Fed; two are monetary policy newbies: Sarah Bloom Raskin of MD state gov't. and Peter Diamond of MIT. Third is San Francisco Fed's Janet Yellen, who is bullish on recovery.
4. Ahmadinejad wants a visa to attend nuclear talks in NYC next week.
5. Important events: Sen. Jay Rockefeller to address Business Software Alliance on his and Snowe's CYBER legislation, which is gaining traction and might pass this summer; USecState Tauscher at Center for Am. Progress on NUCLEAR NON-PROLIFERATION TREATY, previewing the administration's position going into talks. ... NRSC chair Cornyn does Christian Science Monitor meal to rebut DNC chair Kaine's rosy Democratic "results" message.
This article available online at: