Washington, D.C. (May 14, 2014)—As controversy over inflated pharmaceutical pricing continues to draw headlines, The Atlantic presents “Future of Medicine: A Conversation on Cost and Value,” an event exploring the economics of drug pricing. The conversation will also explore the importance of effective research and development and the ethical balance between prescribing life-saving medications to patients in need and keeping costs from skyrocketing.
Business leaders, academics, and medical professionals will bring their views on access to care to the Newseum stage on Wednesday, May 21. Featured speakers will include Daniel Bahr, former German Federal Minister of Health; John Castellani, President and CEO of PhRMA; Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO); Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of America’s Health Insurance Plans; and Steven Pearson, President of the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review and Visiting Scientist in the Department of Bioethics at the National Institutes of Health, among others. The full roster of speakers is listed below.
Steve Clemons, Editor-in-Chief of AtlanticLIVE and Washington Editor-at-Large of The Atlantic, and James Hamblin, Senior Editor of The Atlantic’s Health Channel, will moderate the discussion.
Media interested in attending the event should contact The Atlantic’s Alexi New (firstname.lastname@example.org). The interview will be webcast live via The Atlantic’s Events Channel where it will be archived for later viewing. Follow the conversation on Twitter via @Atlantic_LIVE, and by using the hashtag #AtlanticMedicine.
Express Scripts is the presenting underwriter of the event.
AT A GLANCE:
Future of Medicine: A Conversation on Cost and Value
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
The Newseum: Knight Broadcast Studio
555 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Featured speakers to date include:
- Kirsten Axelsen, Vice President of Worldwide Policy at Pfizer
- Daniel Bahr, former German Federal Minister of Health and Visiting Scholar at the Center for American Progress
- Don Blanchon, Executive Director of the Whitman-Walker Clinic
- John Castellani, President and CEO of PhRMA
- Allan Coukell, Senior Director of Drugs and Medical Devices for The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Matt DeCamp, Assistant Professor of Bioethics at Johns Hopkins University
- Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO)
- Rena Fox, Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco
- Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of America’s Health Insurance Plans
- Donald Jensen, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Center for Liver Diseases at University of Chicago
- Sharon Levine, Associate Executive Medical Director of The Permanente Medical Group
- Brian Marcotte, President and CEO of the National Business Group on Health
- Steve Miller, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of Express Scripts
- Steven Pearson, President of the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, and Visiting Scientist in the Department of Bioethics at the National Institutes of Health
- Lowell Schnipper, Clinical Director of Hematology and Oncology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
General Audience RSVP Link: http://bit.ly/1iE1HxK
Webcast Link and Additional Info: http://www.theatlantic.com/live/events/future-of-medicine/2014/
Follow the conversation on Twitter: @Atlantic_LIVE, #AtlanticMedicine
This article available online at: