Contents | July/August 2004
More Puzzlers from The Atlantic Monthly.
The Atlantic Monthly | July/August 2004
Room With a View
by Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon
Imagine that the diagram is a rectangular pane of glass in a room offering a view. The sight appearing to you therein will be formed pictorially by the heavy bars, which you must draw. The unclued phrase at 31 Across may clarify the picture. The puzzle is to be solved as a diagramless; clues are numbered normally, and the diagram's heavy bars will display left-right symmetry. Answers include nine capitalized entries and a variant spelling at 22 Down.
The instructions above are for this month's puzzle only. See a complete introduction to clue-solving.
See the solution to last month's Puzzler.
1. Some technobabble weirdly creeps me out
12. Hospital room emcee kept in excellent haven (two words)
14. A large group backing current investigator?
16. Lust after bloke on front of Time
17. Stringy things in family restaurants
18. Contributor to the Baltic Sea smell, reportedly
19. Molecule that's helical plus reversed
21. Frost's poetic device discussed
23. Bruin skater starts in on Rangers rink
25. Turkish title, one good one
27. In Crete, nine nuts mutually wreaking havoc
28. What to call a man with goulash in the mouth?
29. Among trees, looking back, I appear amused
30. Face the wrong way for sleep
31. See Instructions
37. Real brown westbound river of Russia
38. Remain behind article in pigpen
39. Peg's afternoon snack announced
40. Stitch yarn around, left, right, and up
1. Ratio, in brief, of carbon and oxygen: not sweet
2. Hotrod—it's not bad for a fixer-upper?
3. Low satellite not fully visible
4. CEO keeps painting hospital room beds in patterns
5. A Parisian opera house not yet encountered
6. Erroneous counts in Southwest urban center
7. Tom who acted English excellently
8. Competition for early care out of hand (two words)
9. Fish in general going backwards
10. Theater worker, a beauty, feeding small songbird (two words)
11. British bigwigs left surrounded by spikes
13. Capsize open container of coffee
15. First exam contains one trap
19. Make room for college housing
20. A good Italian fellow in the first family
22. Soldier's ways of operating thingumbobs
24. Blackbird in panic
26. Take back ring again
32. Column of light Confederate soldiers cut off at the front
33. "Love Two Times" is a Hall of Famer
34. Herb for New Orleans specialty on the tongue
35. Individual note with high emotion
36. Mom, beginning to place face
Copyright © 2004 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All rights reserved.
The Atlantic Monthly; July/August 2004; The Puzzler; Volume 294, No. 1; 189.