The Washington Ideas Forum is D.C.'s premier gathering of U.S. policymakers, industry innovators, and top media personalities.
Washington Ideas Forum
Washington, DC / October 4 – 6, 2011
Presented by The Atlantic and the Aspen Institute, the Washington Ideas Forum is a groundbreaking gathering of newsmakers, industry innovators, and leading journalists for two days of debate, conversation, and idea-sharing.
Inspired by The Atlantic's enduring partnership with the Aspen Ideas Festival, the third-annual Washington Ideas Forum gathered an audience of over 600 guests, including government officials, top business executives, global thought leaders, academics, and celebrities. It is the place to hear - and meet - the most prominent thinkers of our time.
On October 5 and 6, the Forum once again brought the best and brightest to the table for debate, conversation, and idea-sharing.
To watch highlights of the event and read coverage of the program's conversations, please visit TheAtlantic.com Special Report.
And, to access key findings from the Forum's breakout Working Summits on the morning of October 5, please select from one of the six topical sessions below:
- Economy Summit Analysis
- Energy Summit Analysis
- Foreign Affairs Summit Analysis
- Health Care Summit Analysis
- Higher Education Summit Analysis
- Technology Summit Analysis
See photos of the event on Atlantic Scene.
- Amjad Atallah Bureau Chief for the Americas Al Jazeera English
- Melody Barnes Former Director of the Domestic Policy Council The White House
- John Boehner Speaker United States House of Representatives
- Tom Brokaw Special Correspondent NBC Nightly News
- David Brooks Op-Ed Columnist The New York Times
- Steve Capus President NBC News
- Dick Cheney Former Vice President of the United States Simon & Schuster
- Liz Cheney Attorney and daughter of Dick Cheney Simon & Schuster
- Charlie Cook Editor and Publisher The Cook Political Report
- Katie Couric Journalist and Host ABC News
- William Daley Chief of Staff The White House
- Jim Duff President and Chief Executive Officer Freedom Forum
- Tim Geithner Secretary United States Department of the Treasury
- Alex Gibney Taxi to the Dark Side; Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room; Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Filmmaker
- David Gregory Moderator NBC News’ Meet the Press
- Gwen Ifill Moderator and Managing Editor PBS' Washington Week
- Valerie Jarrett Senior Advisor The White House
- Henry Kissinger 56th Secretary of State United States Department of State
- Joel Klein CEO of the Education Division and Executive Vice President, Office of the Chairman News Corporation
- Lawrence Kudlow Host CNBC's The Kudlow Report
- David Leonhardt Washington Bureau Chief The New York Times
- Chris Matthews Anchor MSNBC's Hardball
- Brian Moynihan President and CEO Bank of America
- Marwan Muasher Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and Vice President for Studies Carnegie Endowment
- Pervez Musharraf Former President Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- David Rhodes President CBS News
- Alice Rivlin Former Vice Chairman, Federal Reserve; Senior Fellow, Economic Studies Brookings Institution
- David Rubenstein Co-Founder and Managing Director The Carlyle Group
- Marco Rubio Senator United States Senator for Florida
- Paul Ryan R - Wisconsin United States House of Representatives
- Kai Ryssdal Host American Public Media's Marketplace
- Eric Schmidt Executive Chairman Google Inc.
- Howard Schultz Chairman and CEO Starbucks Corporation
- Ben Sherwood President ABC News
- Anne-Marie Slaughter President and Chief Executive Officer The New America Foundation
- Rex W. Tillerson Chairman and Chief Executive Officer ExxonMobil
- Chuck Todd Chief White House Correspondent and Political Director NBC News
- Antonio Villaraigosa Mayor City of Los Angeles
- Brian Williams Anchor and Managing Editor NBC Nightly News